During Spring Break 2015 my friend and I decided to head to Universal Studios in Orlando Florida!
Tickets: when we decided to go, we decided to go to the parks for three days. We also decided to get the park-to-park tickets.
- Maple Leaf is a great site that has legit tickets at cheaper prices.
- Tickets can also be purchased at the hotel, park, or online.
Hotel: hotel searches are never easy. There are tons of decisions: do we stay on site, off site, couch-surf?
- Couch surfing is a great way to meet locals and partake of the local life, so not for this trip.
- Off site and budget hotels are great for those trying so save money and visit other parts of Orlando.
- On site hotels are great for those spending most of their time at the park and can afford to spend a bit more money for the convenience.
We chose to stay at the resort. There are four different hotels to choose from.
- Cabana Bay Resort which is the “value hotel.” This hotel has a water taxi to the park and 1 hr early admission to the Wizard World of Harry Potter.
- Lowes Royal Pacific Hotel is a little pricier than the Cabana hotel. This hotel also has the one hour early admission, also included is the fast passes for each inhabitant. (To us this was cheaper than staying at the Cabana hotel and purchasing the fast passes separately)
- Hard Rock Cafe is the next up choice. If we had more time to plan and save, we might have stayed here. The early admission and fast passes are also included.
- Lastly, there is the Lowes Portofini Bay resort. Unfortunately, we are not that glamorous yet. The early admission and fast passes are also included.
- In summer 2016 owes Sapphire Falls will open. (Maybe this will be our next trip haha)
How to get there? We live in South Texas (near South Padre Island) and we figured that driving would be cheaper than three of us flying. The road trip was brutal. We didn’t want to stop anywhere, all that mattered was getting to Orlando in 18 hrs. So we drove until we couldn’t stay awake and handed off the wheel. Surprisingly, we managed to sleep in the backseat of a Cruze (Chiro here we come). Boy where we glad to see the exit for Universal Studios.
We had such a blast on our whirlwind trip. Being Harry Potter dorks in a place where it is acceptable was so refreshing. Seeing everyone try to cast spells and enjoy their Honeyduke snacks made the trip worthwhile.
so we were going over myths in class and I was going over the Greek Gods…when Poseidon showed up one of my students said, “he’s the king of the thirst.” What?! These kids are so random.
i decided to buy this journal…
there is a quote for everyday and five sections. You are to write in it everyday for five years to see your life change. I am starting with a real thought of the day and then a positive thought or happening. Let’s see how this goes!
A few weeks ago my friend and I decided to go ice skating. We looked up possible places and stumbled upon the Frio Grande ice skating rink. the rink is located in McAllen, Texas, not far from where we live, so we decided to check it out. The prices were cheap, well actually I wouldn’t know what is an appropriate price for ice skating as I’ve never been before. The entrance fee was$3 and skate rental was $8. We were able to skate for an hour and a half. There were a fair number of people there so an hour in it was getting hard to skate. The place does provide skating Aid in the form of premiums and snowmen. The place also had music playing to add to the fun. I was very pleased and will definitely be going back.
This is the final project for our Biography Unit. All of my students had to chose a different person who was considered influential, changed their field, and together they had to edit one giant Prezi. Each student had to present their five facts to their respective class. It was a great success, with only a handful who didn’t complete the project.
We were talking about morals in fables and a student of mine said the characters will “read while you sew.” Laughing, I corrected the student and had to explain what “You reap what you sow” meant.
I have a jacket that has a tag that reads “Gypsy Warrior,” a student thought that said “Crispy Warrior.” I laughed for ten minutes. My students are weird.
I have also been called mom twice, I am surprised it happened this late in the year. Jokingly, I told my “children” that I shunned them and they were raised by wolves, thus explaining their abhorrent manners.
We are working on biographies and autobiographies in class. All 7th grade teachers decided to have the students create a biography over an influential person of the past century. We also decided to allow the students to manipulate a prezi to form a presentation for the class. A prezi is an interactive presentation tool that can be used online. I decided that ALL my students were going to work on one GIANT prezi. My first two classes took to it and worked on it fine…my Pre-AP class, well they destroyed my faith in collaborative work. Prezi is great, in that it saves every minor change…that can be a disadvantage when a student accidentally deletes half of the projects. Now, this wouldn’t have been an issue if said student were to have owned up to the mistake and allowed me to undo the mistake from their computer. Life is never that easy, of course no one wanted to say anything and so I cancelled the computer lab day and we walked back to class. I threatened the whole class with detention for ruining everyone’s project until finally one student told the truth. Ugh!! This would have been a beautiful cross-class collaboration report. It still can, but I have to fix the mistake and tell my other classes that their work was for naught…Why can’t things go the way they are supposed to?
The students are discussing the finding of Le Salle’s ship.
“They found it with something like radar” one said.
“Exactly like radar.” The other retorted.
“Sort of, exactly like a radar.” The first one said.